View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp44
As far as the game itself goes, I didn't see it, but according to the ESPN article, the big controversial call was a shot clock violation that Lopes called with 17 seconds left in the game. The ball hit the rim, but it was so close that they had to go to the monitor to confirm. The AP procedure gave the ball back to Alabama and they won at the buzzer (on what may or may not have been a travel before the game winning shot). I may have a problem w/ the SEC disciplining an official for something that they had to go to the monitor to confirm, or what may or may not have been a travel that can only be confirmed by the SEC reviewing a DVD or videotape in super-slow motion 5 days after the game because a coach b!tched. Just my .02. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=270200333
I did see the game so I have to throw this out for clarification. I do not know NCAA rules, and most times I work HS games I am told I don't know NFHS rules either, but that's another story. What I saw happen was the shot was taken and, as reported, there was a question as to whether the ball hit the rim or not. From the angles of the replays on the TV broadcast (which may be different from what the officials see) I could not tell. Anyway, what happened after the shot is that a GEORGIA player grabbed for the rebound, bobbled the ball, and it went OOB. So, I am confused as to why ESPN reported that it was a alternating possession situation. Isn't a shot clock violation a turn over to the other team? If so, then it would be an Alabama ball. If they did not call the shot clock violation and judged that the ball hit the rim, then it would have been clearly OOB on Georgia and, thus, an Alabama ball. In either case I think AL would have retained the ball and still won the game. Am I missing something here? Also, Georgia blew a prety big lead in the game and, IMO, it shoudl never have come down to that last 20 seconds or so.