View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Middle school games can be rough because players aren't capable of playing.
Middle school games can be rough because coaches want to officiate.
Middle school games can be rough because partners may or may not be experienced.
Middle school games aren't worth it if the site administrater thinks she can micromanage the officiating during the game.
You forgot the rude & obnoxious parents that are firmly convinced that little Jimmy is the next Michael Jordan.....

In other words, middle school games, particularly boys, have the greatest potential for going downhill fast than any other level.

The coach's comments in question needed to be addressed, and we all develop our own ways of doing that. Some things will work for one official and not another - it's not just what you say, but how you say it. On top of that, individual coaches will respond differently to the same technique.....(sheesh, now we've got to be amateur psychologists! Where's Dr. Phil when we need him..)

It appears that Rita's initial comments to the coach settled things down, and that's the goal. The admin's subsequent conversation with the coach only fanned the dying embers. Confronting the admin about the conversation certainly didn't help any, but give the description of her previous behavior, I doubt if it made it a whole lot worse. Isn't 20/20 hindsight is a wunnerful thing?

It appears to me that this particular administrator needs to spend a little more time focusing on her responsibilities (i.e.; providing competent table personnel) and less schmoozing with the coaches. Her post game actions were way off base and do need to be reported.