View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter
But I missed one a couple days ago - 7th game of the day (we run 1 hour games), was under the basket, 2 man crew - >10 seconds left in the half (we use a running clock), player drives into the lane, puts up a layup, and goes flying/tumbling past me. I don't call anything, and as clock expires, he goes ape crazy yelling all those words they dont teach in english class at the top of his lung, and I guess, whack, you know the rest of the story.

What bothers me is I am 99% sure I missed the call, and had to give him a technical for it - apparently from behind him, someone shoved the heck outta him on his back, and I was screened, and didn't see guy shoving him (the guy apologized to him for shoving him on his drive 30 secs later). My partner, on the opposite side, (I guess T for trail?), didn't see anything either.
First of all this call (player driving the lane gets shoved in the back) is not the lead's call. Your partner should have had it. He could have seen the contact very easily by drifting down low into the C position (FT line extended) to watch the drive.

That said...if your instinct told you there was a foul you could have taken it, but I would be very careful doing this.

On the debate as to where the L should be positioned on this play: I'm very much in the get as close as possible camp. On this play I would have been at least at the lane line or wandered into the paint, not stayed wide or outside.