View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I nailed a 5th grader once in a YMCA game for yelling "These guys suck!" after he didn't agree with something. Coach pulled him for a while, and after the game, his Dad made him apologize to me.
Much better than the parents of the kid my partner hit with a flagrant personal this year; who called the home school's AD and complained that he (the AD) was taking away her son's "right" to play.
Being a known ref in my community I get asked to volunteer for YMCA or youth rec tournaments from time to time. I always help them out if my schedule is open. Well, a few years ago, I had a 6th grade kid slam the ball and say "whatever" when I called travel on him. I promptly gave him a technical foul....which meant he was done for the game in this league.

As I report the foul, his father (who was also the coach) says "your reffing takes the fun out of the game." The gentleman running the tournament told the coach he had to leave the gym for his inappropriate remarks. When I left the gym (5 hours later) the father was waiting for me outside. He chewed me out up and down for embarrassing him and his family. He was a real jerk and I had had enough so I said "no, you have always been an embarrassment and if you don't change soon, your son will be as well."