View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalsCoach
I come to this site almost daily and have really learned alot. Unlike like most coaches I love to study the rules and feel pretty confident in my knowledge. My question involves incorrect application of the rules. How do I handle these during a game and after the game? Is there any hope during the game? During a game can I get another official to give the incorrect official additional information ( correct rule) and have the call changed? This happens all of the time on balls tipped out of bounds. One official helps another. After the game should I just let it drop and have the official continue to use an incorrect rule or should I approach the official?

So far this year I have had :
1.a five second closely guarded in the back court

2.an opponent call time out during a pass and been told this is legal because there is team possession during a pass

3.twice been told you cannot be the first to touch the ball back in bounds when you deflect the ball and your momentum carries you out of bound.

4. I have been told I cannot yell foul at the end of the game or it will be an intentional foul.

5. During the captains meeting been told a prewrap in the girls hair must be the same color. This was a month after the NFHS and the state of Illinois had made a clarificaton.

These are just a few I can think of at this time.

1. Whoever called this obviously needs to read 9.8 Art. 10 on pg. 58 of the Fed. Rule book for the '06-'07 season.

Art. 1... A player shall not while closely guarded:
a. In his/her frontcourt, hold the ball for five seconds or dribble the ball for five seconds.
b. In his/her frontcourt, control the ball for five seconds in an area enclosed by screening teammates.

2. Page 42 in the Case Book states
5.8.3 Situation D: A1 or A2 requests a time-out: (a) while airborne A1 is holding the ball; (b) while A1’s throw-in is in flight toward A2; or (c) when the ball is on the floor at A1’s disposal for a throw-in.

Ruling: The request is granted in (a) and (c), but denied in (b), as there is no player control while the ball is loose between players.

3. This is true as far as I know. You cannot be the FIRST person to touch the ball inbounds after you have stepped OOB. I cannot find the rule, and I am sure someone else will, or else they will correct me if I am wrong.

4. In the Case Book, on page 26
4.19.3 Situation D: Late in the fourth quarter Team B is trailing by six points. Team B's head coach begins to yell to his or her players to "foul, foul, foul!" B1 responds by (a) grabbing A1 from behind, or (b) reaching for the ball but illegally contacting A1 on the arm.

Ruling: In (a), an intentional foul shall be called. In (b), a common foul shall be called as B1 was making a legitimate attempt to "play the ball."
Comment: Fouling near the end of a game is an acceptable coaching and playing strategy. Officials must determine if a foul is intentional by judging the fouling act itself, not whether or not the coach instructed a player to perform the act.

5. As far as this one goes, In Kansas, our Area Assignor told us they are not required to be the same color. Im pretty sure he said they could be any color, but I'm not 100% on it, so don't quote me on it.

As far as the OOB balls go, I will allow a coach to POLITELY ask me if my partner might have had a better look, and if they haven't been arguing every little call throughout the night, I will usually oblige and ask my partner if he saw clearly who the ball last touched. As far as letting stuff drop, you shouldn't bring it up after the 2nd DEAD BALL following the occurrence, because after the 2nd dead ball, NO official may correct an error, thus, all you will be doing is irritating the official and possibly earning a Tech and be forced to sit the rest of the game. Those are my thoughts, and others may not agree.