View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 02:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I've heard that they're getting away from that a little now. They were getting too many guys that looked pretty but just weren't very good. They've kinda gone back to looking for officials that can actually...well...officiate, no matter whether they're short, whatever.

Heck, I know a real short guy(How short do you say? Well, he has to stand on a chair to kick a duck in the azz) that got hired just this year into D1 ball. Used to post here a lot too.
I do not know that I agree completely with that. Of course there are always exceptions to that rule and just like your short example it does not apply to every situation. But when I went to a camp this past summer that was held by one guy that had the most D1 conferences in the country, just about everyone there was slim, athletic, tall (6 feet and taller) and could referee. There were also people in the camp that already worked D1 and no one had a beer belly or looked like they did not do some working out. Larks went to the same camp, I am sure he will make a similar observation.

I went to a camp where the assignor assigned a Mid-Major Conference and there was a guy that probably was one of the top 5 officials at the camp but he was a little overweight. I heard one of the clinicians who is a current D1 Official and told him he needed to lose his belly and about 10 to 15 pounds.

I might agree that they are getting away from the stats as a judge of is going to get a shot, but it is still a factor in the hiring process. Just like many other things are factors that we hardly ever talk about.

Peace