View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

barking assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvernebbref
Boy’s V game, early in the first half (play halves in MN).
Block-Charge situation, no-brainer, its a charge on A1.
Ball is inbounded and I pass by the bench and the team A assistant coach is barking “No Way, No Way!!!”
Shortly, I am the lead and covering off ball and A3 bats the ball away from dribbler B1 near half court and in front of A’s bench, away from the side line of my partner. B1 recovers the ball and the assistant starts barking that B1 was out of bounds (may have or have not been OOB, I had action in the lane, and partner could not tell). The assistant then looks at me and barks “That is the third thing you have missed already!
I call a foul on A4, not in the bonus so the ball is OOB on the baseline. I tell my partner to hold for a minute. I approach the assistant and tell him “If you are going to bark at every situation tonight, this is going to be a long night for you, so I would suggest that you watch your mouth.
It usually takes a lot to get under my skin, but I was really annoyed and felt I needed to say something, even if nothing he said warranted a T. He never said another word the rest of the night.

What do you think, should I have ignored him, or would you have said something to him?
In Texas, we do not put up with bench "stuff". We warn the Head Coach to control the bench as it is his/her responsiblity. I have never said a single word to an assistant during any game. Please reply to this as I am new on this site and I do not know if my comments reach you or others -Ron.