View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Mark T.D
I can fully appreciate that NFHS/NCAA men hava a different rule than NCAA women/WNBA/NBA. But there are a lot of good basketball minds at all of these levels and they have determined to draw different conclusions. Those that deal with the highest level men's and women's games are clear obtuse, and those that deal with HS boys and below clearly have a better sense of what is and is not good basketball in your world.

In my world, I fully understand your argument and realize that this argument (and maybe some others) are why certain organizations allow a charging call under the basket. Other organizations believe that to play defense, you should defend something other than a landing zone - like a shooter, dribbler, or passer that still has the ball in their possession. That is a difference in philosophy regarding the proper way to play defense, and neither is necessarily more right than the other (except in your world).

When you see how high the pro players get off the floor and how quickly the plays develop at that level, it makes sense in the NBA to discourage any attempt to draw a charge directly under the basket. It is too easy to hurt someone. Don't forget, for every charge there will probably be two blocks by players who try to draw the charge and arrive late. Those blocks would not occur if the defensive player did not think they had a chance to draw a charge directly nder the basket. So each of those blocks that occur directly under the basket results in a foul on the defense and a potentially dangerous contact on the offensive player who has a right to be where they are. By allowing charging calls under the basket, we risk offensive injury simply for the shaky principle that a defender must be allowed to attempt to defend a landing spot.

Many leagues believe that this simply does not make sense, and many of us happen to agree. I really doubt that all of us are the idiots you would make us out to be - we just have a different sense of what the appropriate boundaries should be. It makes as much sense to call this stupid as it would to label people stupid for having different three-point line distances. We can argue about what the right distance should be without categorizing others who think differently as idiots - especially when there are a lot of them and they give these issues serious consideration.

My only surprise is that the college women moved to change this before men, who are above the rim and much more exposed to danger. I am waiting for the men to adopt this change.