View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
You mentioned he's a college official so I assumed he does this for his ncaa games. Or maybe you think his status as a college official gives him more credibility?

In any event it's very bad advice IMO. You start doing this stuff and next thing you'll be making calls/no-calls based on how much you like the coach.

When it's time to T the coach just go ahead and T him. Throw all that other clever BS out the window.

I only mentioned that he is a college official because he is very respected in our association. He has worked numerous NCAA tournament games, and a couple of Final Fours. The advice was based on High School situation. It has nothing to do with liking or disliking a coach, it is just a matter of holding the whistle for a few extra seconds.

I am the last person to go passing out technical fouls, so if I administer one, it is well warranted. So if a coach is behaving that badly, holiding the whistle for another second or two until his team has possesion is just causing him to "loose" as much as he can for his actions. Remember we are talking about a situation where he is going to get T'd up. Not a situation where you are looking for a problem.

We are on the floor for the players, not the coaches. I rarely pay them any attention at all unless there is a dead ball situation and they are asking a question or requesting a time out. Therefore if he is behaving bad enough for me to give him a T, another second or two will not hurt a bit.