View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 11:52pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Earlier this season there was much discussion regarding defensive positions under the basket. Today in a boys' H.S.
freshmen game I had these two plays.

Play #1: Early in the first quarter, I was Lead, table side, when V1 drove toward the basket along the endline from my left to right. V1 drove past H1 and just before V1 became airborne H2 took a legal position facing V1 directly under the basket. V1 released his field gold attempt and then charged into H2 before returning to the court. I disallowed the basket and charged V1 with a player control foul for charging.
Mark - why did you cancel the basket? Is this another area where FIBA differs to NFHS? Under FIBA rules, the basket would have counted since V1 had released the ball before causing contact with H2.

Just curious....

You are correct, under FIBA and NCAA Men's rules, if the contact comes after the release of the field goal attempt the basket would count and if Team H was in the bonus H1 would shoot free throws. But under NFHS and NCAA Women's rules, if contact occurs at anytime before the shooter returns to the floor, the foul is considered a player control foul and the basket does not count.

But the real point of my posting was that the defender had a legal position under the basket and I just wanted to get everybody all riled up again. I guess I am getting cantankerous in my old age.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio