Thread: Eyepoke
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 03:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by armymanjones
LOL before you beckon you determine by asking the player or observing and making a decision as to the ability of the player to continue. If the player can not immediately continue and the case book says not more than a few seconds the player should be replaced and if you beckon the player has to be removed. So give it a second to see if the players ok and if not you beckon. Better to error on the side of safety.
If a coach is sharp enough to read the situation and see that it was minor and his player can continue, then if he hasn't come on the floor I'm not gonna make him remove his player. If there's any doubt in my mind about the player's condition though, he will be going out.

It's almost the same as when you get a little shoving match out there and a coach quickly comes out on the floor to break it up. Technically, he's supposed to be gone with a flagrant technical foul. In practise imo, if he's out there to help the situation, then I beckoned him, even though nobody might have seen that beckon.

One is an inadvertant beckon and one is a phantom beckon....and both are useful tools imo.