View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Very well stated, and to add to this. This is a woman sport and the thinking coming from the seniors at the top, is they want to continue to seek opportunities for women, and women only, which is not a bad thing. IMO, the women's game has progressed to the point where they do not need the men's players anymore and still can put out a very good product. A female player who has gone thru the system and been in the trenches, can speak volumes for this game at the executive level and it appears to me that that is what's happening here. It does not matter who actually bought this up, but more so, does the issue hold merit. IMO, it does. The men may not like it, and it is all for selfish reasons, but they are going to have to get over themselves here. The game is for women, not for men, so from a womans prospective, why are the women practicing with the men? Reverse it, do you see the men practicing with the women to get better? Enter Title IX. Since there is no men's team that will "EVER" consider using a female to make the men's players better, then the women have the right (good or bad) to demand the same in return. In other words, let's use female players to get better.

Where the men gets shortsided here, is because there is not enough bigger women to really challenge a bigger women on the practice squad. They could have there alumni come in and provide the same thing in return, thereby offering this back to the female players. In no way do they need to continue to use men's players, and truly speaking, if you got a big man, there may not be another male at the campus that can really push this guy in practice either. If you are good, your talent will surface whether or not you practice with a male or not. I know it's fun to be able to be a part of the women's program. Men even take some pride in it, however, the women are saying today that we would like to give this opportunity to the females, so other female students are former players can say the same thing, imo of course.
This is a coherent arguement, but not very convincing. It would have more merit if you could name some better female players who think that practicing only against other women is enough. I suspect the idea of banning male practice partners came from the 3rd string women who apparently are being cut from the squad, rather than from the starters. If that's the case, then what you are saying doesn't mean much.

I don't understand why the teams cant have their cake and eat it too. Are there rules about how many bodies can be on the floor at practice? Maybe those are what should change.