View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 07:44pm
Administrator

Earlier this season there was much discussion regarding defensive positions under the basket. Today in a boys' H.S.
freshmen game I had these two plays.

Play #1: Early in the first quarter, I was Lead, table side, when V1 drove toward the basket along the endline from my left to right. V1 drove past H1 and just before V1 became airborne H2 took a legal position facing V1 directly under the basket. V1 released his field gold attempt and then charged into H2 before returning to the court. I disallowed the basket and charged V1 with a player control foul for charging.

Play #2: Mid-way through the third quarter, I was Lead, opposite the table and had on ball coverage, when V1 drove toward the basket. H1 took a legal guarding position against V1 directly under the basket just before V1 became airborne. V1 released his field gold attempt and then charged into H1 before returning to the court. I disallowed the basket and charged V1 with a player control foul for charging.

Needless to say, V1, Coach V, and Team V fans did not like the calls. But don't you just love it when the fans boo.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio