Thread: Patrick
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Strictly personal opinion.

I think it is a lack of intestinal fortitude. Six/seven years ago, when the different uniforms began being used at the local levels, I was told the allowance for the heather gray was due to the number of ASA umpires which also worked HS & collegiate ball, even though at that time, and to the best of my knowledge, NCAA's official uniform does not include gray pants.

Personally, I have a problem with this as those who work the other organizations certainly make enough money to afford the purchase of their official uniform as opposed to ASA-only umpires meeting dual standards.

There was also the issue that umpires wanted to have multiple combinations so they could look cool, like the MLB umpires. My feeling is if you want to look like a baseball umpire, go work baseball.

Then there are those who claim the gray pants are much cooler, temperature wise. My belief is that the material, regardless of color, will hold the heat between the fabric and legs. If you want "cooler", get off the dirt at every opportunity and stand on the grass whenever possible. While the lighter color MAY reflect the sun better than the blue, I don't think it will not deter the reflection of the sun off the surface of the field.

I just wish ASA would pick one uniform and stick with it. The choice should have nothing to do with other org (NCAA, NFHS, etc.) or other games like baseball. The selection should be based on the organization's umpire signature. We are "blue" and we should wear blue.

JMHO
wrt "I just wish ASA would pick one uniform and stick with it."
That would be great if all sanctions could agree on one uniform and more importantly, stop changing it every time they get a chance. Even if some NCAA umpires make enough to pay for extra uniforms, most have more useful purposes for it and some actually need the income. I really don't care what color or what uniform we wear and I'm certainly not concerned about what color shirt looks more fashionable with what color pants. The point is it being uniform and "uniform" means same. If we all wore the same, then the uniformity would be apparent and the players and coaches would accept not only our appearance, but our consistency as well. We are on the field to work, not model. I'm really tired of buying and maintaining multiple "sets of clothes"; then having to replace them all every time some manufacturer takes a bigwig out to lunch in Oklahoma City or Indianapolis.
BTW, anyone who thinks the MLB umps look cool, with their white swoop shoes and non-matching jackets, should not have a say in what we wear.

Also, it is the fabric and not the color that makes the most difference.