Thread: Patrick
View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
From what I read if you are doing ASA one state requires navy blue and another requires grey or is there a logic in it.
Strictly personal opinion.

I think it is a lack of intestinal fortitude. Six/seven years ago, when the different uniforms began being used at the local levels, I was told the allowance for the heather gray was due to the number of ASA umpires which also worked HS & collegiate ball, even though at that time, and to the best of my knowledge, NCAA's official uniform does not include gray pants.

Personally, I have a problem with this as those who work the other organizations certainly make enough money to afford the purchase of their official uniform as opposed to ASA-only umpires meeting dual standards.

There was also the issue that umpires wanted to have multiple combinations so they could look cool, like the MLB umpires. My feeling is if you want to look like a baseball umpire, go work baseball.

Then there are those who claim the gray pants are much cooler, temperature wise. My belief is that the material, regardless of color, will hold the heat between the fabric and legs. If you want "cooler", get off the dirt at every opportunity and stand on the grass whenever possible. While the lighter color MAY reflect the sun better than the blue, I don't think it will not deter the reflection of the sun off the surface of the field.

I just wish ASA would pick one uniform and stick with it. The choice should have nothing to do with other org (NCAA, NFHS, etc.) or other games like baseball. The selection should be based on the organization's umpire signature. We are "blue" and we should wear blue.

JMHO