Thread: more patient?
View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Isn't this where the advocates for not not calling traveling when there's no defensive pressure usually break in with a tsk-tsk?

Slow whistle on fouls. Call most violations(except 3 seconds & 10 seconds for a FT shooter) when they occur. Don't over-think the game.

Good points JR. When there's no defensive pressure, I'm usually real focused on pivot foot, etc....looking past to the defensive set up, anticipating offensive movement, etc.

And you are right not overthinking the game. Most violations need attention immediately (reaction?), while most fouls need some thought (process the decision and then respond).

In a D3 blowout yesterday afternoon, after the team that's 30+ ahead scored a basket midway through 2nd half and the team that's behind grabbed the ball for the throw in (no pressure, etc), the "thrower" went to toss the ball to the "catcher" but the catcher just kind of grabbed it before the "throw" happened. I "neglected to see the violation" but mentioned to the thrower a couple of steps onto the court that she needed to make sure and "throw the ball" and not just hand it in. She grinned broadly and said, "my bad. Thanks."