View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
while i agree that using reference points on the field can aid you in working, IMO your rule of thumb is giving you and the defense the crappy end of the stick. unless a 2 year old threw the ball, if it is in flight at the cutout it is going to be there instantaneously. furthermore, there is nothing written anywhere in the rules about the ball being in the cutout (i know you didn't say that, but hear me out) and if you get yourself in the mindset that that is what your guideline is going to be, then it may slip out in an argument that could result.

coach: he can't block the bag! he has to have the ball!
you: no he doesn't. the play was imminent.
coach: i'm not smart! what the he77 does imminent mean!?
you: the ball was inside the cutout.
coach: i used to umpire! i read the rules! it doesn't say anything about the cutout! you're making $hit up out here!

i would suggest using the terminology, "directly toward and near enough." it allows you more reach in ruling and in winning an argument. the rule doesn't define imminent which allows you some wiggle room. they use broad terms, you should use them, too.

you: the ball was directly toward the fielder and near enough that he had the right to be there to make the play.

doesn't matter what he says from here, you've just turned his rule question into a judgment call question.
If it is 50 feet away and thrown by a player who is even close to shaving age it will be there instantaneously (or imminently). The defense is not working the crappy end of the stick since they are not allowed to block the base unless the fielder is fielding a throw that is imminent. I just gave a rule of thumb I read. You use whatever you like, but good luck with the argument if the ball is 50 feet away.

I doubt it will slip out in an argument but if it does I don't have a problem defending it.

you: to me it means the ball was in the cutout, and since this is an umpire judgement call I am sure you understand the call stands as called.

Last edited by DG; Wed Dec 27, 2006 at 11:48pm.