View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 24, 2006, 10:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
Team A has delayed coming back on the court, from the locker room, to start the 2nd half. Game management sent someone to the locker room to advise Coach A that he needs to get his team on the floor....still no team A.

Officials use the resumption of play procedure and put the ball on the floor...since the arrow was Team A's.
Violation...officials give ball to Team B for throw-in...Team B goes in for an uncontested lay-up.
We have a couple things wrong here. I agree that a technical foul was warranted in this case. However, this is an excellent opportunity to show your game management, preventative officiating skills.

#1.) It is the referee responsibility to notify the teams 3 minutes before the half is to begin. Did you do this? With this in mind, we can now throw out any technical fouls or the RPP and attempt to find out why the team is not there. Something major could have happened like a player getting sick and needing hospitalization. Here you are on the court giving a team a technical, dumb, imo.

#2.) You can not put the ball in play and one of the teams is not present. The rules do not allow you to do that. That was wrong, imo.

Quote:
What would you have done if you were the R?
I would have found out where they where, went to their locker room and notified them myself. Then when I get back to the court, they need to be right behind me, if not, now we can start the technical foul procedures.

In the event, that someone from the table went to notify them. When the coach came out from the locker room, I would ask him if he was notified. If the team says no, I would do some quick investigating. Find out who the table person was, etc, etc. enforce from there. The reason I say this; I had a college game where the home team table personal did not notify the opposition that the halftime was about over, and it was a good little walk from the locker room to the floor. My guess is they did that to try and get the visiting team a technical. Rivalry schools....