View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike22Official
OK OK, I got it. For some reason I was thinking that Team B had secured possession with an interception.

If A, on a try, were to fumble at B's 3 yard line, and B66, while attempting to recover the fumble, FORCED it into the endzone where it was recovered by Team B or knocked OOB in the endzone, a 1-point safety would be awarded to Team A.
You are correct, but I'm going to be picky here since you are a new official

The word "force" as it pertains to NFHS rules is not a verb, it is a noun. The ball is never "forced." Paraphrasing the definition, force may result from the ball being batted, muffed, kicked, or passed. Now, one thing to keep in mind in your situation. A new force MAY result when a grounded ball is batted, muffed, or kicked. In your situation, we have to be 100% positive that B's force casued the ball to go from the field of play into the endzone (i.e. across the goal-line). If A fumbles the ball and it is rolling toward the end zone at a decent pace, and then B muffs the ball in the same direction, we are probably not going to rule that B's force caused the ball to cross the goal line. Then, depending on who recovers, we will rule accordingly. On the other hand, if the ball is nearly coming to a rest at the 3 yard line, and B muffs the ball, we can without doubt rule that B's force caused the ball to go from the field of play into the end zone. Then we will rule accordingly after one team gains possession. Make sense?

We are not done with you on this play yet, though

We have 6 potential situations to rule on here, so provide your ruling for the following:

We have ruled A's force put the ball in the end zone and
(1) a member of team A recovers the ball
(2) a member of team B recovers the ball
(3) the ball rolls out of bounds through the back of the end zone

We have ruled B's force put the ball in the end zone and
(4) a member of team A recovers the ball
(5) a member of team B recovers the ball
(6) the ball rolls out of bounds through the back of the end zone