View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Fresham and JV team @ Varsity Game

just wanted to get some feedback from you all on something that I witnessed last night :
I worked a freshman and JV game last night and then stuck around to watch some of the Varsity game . The gym where the game was being played had stands across from the scorers table for both the home and visitor fans . The gym also had some limited seating tableside behind both the home and visitors bench where the freshman and Jv teams were sitting to watch the Varsity game . From the beginning of the game the freshman and JV boys from the home team were extremely vocal in their support of their Varsity team which I though was great .
Somewhere around the middle of the first quarter the support for their team turned in to razzing of the visiting team . At first the razzing was mild ("Nice Haircut #12") and then it got more personal towards the players as in "hey #12 you suck" . It also got personal towrds the coaches of the Varsity to the point where there was a minor verbal altercation between an asst coach and the "fans" when the teams went in at the half . I was very disturbed that the Varsity coach , who was 3 feet in front of these kids on the bench nor any school officials said anything to these kids at all . Because nobody said anything the kids kept pushing the envelope on what they were saying . I thought it was a really really poor show of sportsmanship especailly since the kids doing all the yelling were part of the basketball program .
My question is that as an official is there anything that we can say or do in this instance ? Do you think asking the varsity coach or game management to ask these kids to cut out the personal comments is overstepping our responsibilities ? To be quite honest I know for sure I would have said something to the coach or to game management....I am just not sure ifthat would be the proper thing to do by rule .
I left in the middle of the 3rd quarter so maybe the situation was addressed after I left . BTW a air horn was confiscated from these fans/players the second time they blew it during a opponets free throw
Thanks .