View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 03:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelcoach
Has the relationship between referees and coaches gotten better, or is it just me? In eight years as a coach, and two years as a referee, I have never seen a coach get a call changed (even when he was right). This year, my team has played four games, and I have seen three calls changed -
1. A charge with my team over the limit. The official goes down to the other end to administer free throws, and I state "Mr. Official, there was no team control". He responds, "Your right, coach", and proceeds to confer with his partner before administering the throw in instead.
2.) We had a player pushed from behind who made the basket as the foul was called. The official gave him 2 shots, but waved off the basket. When I asked how it could be a shooting foul but the basket not count, the ref shrugged and continued on. BUT, at the next timeout, he got both coaches together and said they were going to count the basket since it was a shooting foul.
3.) I had a player foul out, and called my team over for a quick word. The official tried to charge me with a timeout. I stated that I had one minute to make my sub, the referee smiled and said "30 seconds actually, but that's all you used."

Is it just me getting a better grasp of the rules, or are basketball officials becoming more willing to work with the coaches to get calls right? It reminds me of the movement in baseball a few years ago away from the confrontational atmosphere that existed between officials and coaches to a more 'let's work together to get it right' mindset. If this so, it is a welcome change, for both sides.

For #2, you can have situations where there's a shooting foul, but the basket is disallowed.

For example, if a player is fouled in the act, then commits a travel prior to releasing the ball, you're still going to give him the 2 shots, as he was fouled during the try, but you can't count the basket because it was scored as a direct result of a violation.