View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 11:48pm
Administrator

I am jumping into the fray kind of late, but it is nice to see my name being thrown around.

First, flopping occurs under two different circumstances.

1) A1 has a legal position on the court. A1 sees B1 coming toward him/her and bails out as a natural reaction to impending contact by B1. It is the type of reaction that we of all do if we think we are going to get hit by someone who is moving without seeing us. It is assumed that because of the flop by A1 there is not any contact by B1 with A1. It is my opinion that this type of flop should not come under the technical foul provision of the rules for faking being fouled. If A1 bails out too early I tell the player to stand in there and take it like a man/woman and take the charge; of course. Remember, if A1 starts to bail out under this circumstance and contact does occur, then B1 is responsible for the contact because of A1's favorable position on the court.

2) A1 does not have a legal position on the court and attempts to draw a charging foul when their position on the court really lends itself to a blocking foul if there is contact between A1 and B1 (player with the ball). This is the great dilemma: Call a block or a techinal foul for faking being fouled.

I will be the first to admit that the technical foul is an obsure foul. How many times have we seen it or called it. I have never seen it called or called it myself. The first time A1 flops with no contact between A1 and B1, I tell A1 I do not want to see it again, because the actual penalty is a technical foul. If there is contact between A1 and B1, then it is easy, blocking foul on A1. If A1 knows that the penalty for flopping is a technical foul, that puts a stop to it right away.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio