Thread: Backboard slap
View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Your statement above verbatim was "Personally If I ruled this AS A LEGITIMATE ATTEMPT TO MAKE A BLOCK and I am 100% sure that the hit of the backboard caused the board to shake hard enough that it caused the missed shot, I'm whacking the kid...."

NFHS Rule 10-3-5(b) states "A player shall not illegally contact the backboard/ring by INTENTIONALLY slapping or striking the backboard or causing the ring to vibrate while a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket"

Casebook play 10.3.5(b)
COMMENT: The purpose of the rule is to penalize INTENTIONAL contact with the backboard while a shot or try is involved..."."

NCAA rules are exactly the same. I believe that pro rules are too, but I may be wrong.

Again, that's a very basic rule that you're misinterpreting. As I said before, if you call that in one of your college games, it might just be your last one if an evaluator is watching.
So we are getting technical then. All I would have to do is say that I thought the kid was not making a legitimate attempt to play the ball, whether he was or he wasn't, and then I could T him up. Ok I will do that then, since that is all I would have to tell my boss or anyone else and then they could not argue it. I guess I should have said it this way at the first instead of trying to argue the point.