View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 04:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Just to put another voice into this discussion, I'll respond to the OP sitch rather than the definition of a pass issue.

The covering official definitely should have been watching. What A1 did is definitely a violation.

It seems to me that the Referee Magazine case play is highly questionable, but perhaps that's what the explaining official is referring to.

How old are the players in your case? I know that at the middle school level and lower, a lot of refs are pretty lackadaisical about the inbounds play when there's no defense. There's also a lot of new refs who are getting their start at these levels. I'm impressed with how you handled it, since a lot of coaches in intramural at all levels seem to feel that their next coaching assignment will be to be Bobby Knight's assistant, and they want everyone to know that they're qualified, if you catch my drift.

At the lower levels, I might do what the RM case play suggests, namely to blow it dead and give A1 a do-over. And if I'd done it for A1, I'd have done it for your player, too. But if I know or suspect that the teams have two or three years experience under their belts, I'm inclined to call this sort of thing, but that's just me.