View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTownTonyBrown
You would likely find me ROFLMAO.... I think your scenario is a bit of a stretch.

As an official you have a responsibility to administer the throw-in to the correct team. You would enforce that responsibility if both teams were ready. You would enforce that responsibility if only one team was ready. I tend to feel that you have administered the ball to Team A when you placed it on the floor and it is Team A that I am penalizing by beginning my count - the same as if they were standing there with the ball in their hands.

I just don't think I would allow Team B to interrupt that impending penalty if I could prevent it.

Crossing the OOB boundary because of confusion is not the same as sticking your hand across the plane during a throw-in.

When I'm standing there with the ball, waiting to administer to Red, and White steps out to make the throw-in, I don't call a delay violation or a technical foul - I inform White of their error and get the correct team, Red, for the throw-in. No penalty. I imagine that you would do the same in that situation. Setting the ball down for a particular team seems quite similar to me.
My comment for what is in red: Why are you only penalizing Team A and preventing Team B from doing something that would result in them being penalized? Are you friends with the coach of Team B? See how your choices could be construed?

My comment for what is in blue: There is properly no penalty for this because no rule is being broken. The ball is still dead while you are holding it in your hands. After you set the ball down on the floor, you have made it live and have a completely different situation. At least that's how it seems to me.