View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 09, 2006, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

end of game Stuff

Boys JV . Semi final game of tourney. Partner is 1st year ref, I am starting 3rd year. Home team leading 72-69. I am lead. Visitors shooting 1 and 1. There is 1.9 seconds on clock. Misses first one , long bounce off rim, heading towards my sideline, home team grabs the ball ,dribbles 2/3 times , fouled, I tweet, I look up, no time on clock , horn then sounds....
I start moving smartly towards locker room. Partner goes to scorers table to get his water bottle. Losing coach starts howling at partner that there was 1 second left. partner catches up to me at free throw line. We leave. Turns out partner had .2 seconds on clock. because of our bad communication skill set the winning team didn't get to shoot their 2 free throws with .2 seconds left and every bizarre thing that could have happened with .2 seconds didn't get a chance to happen.
Varsity ref evaluating us believes I should have reported the foul, explained to losing coach what i had and then announced that the game was over. i believed I let everybody know that the game was over when I started to leave the floor. Other than my partner and I not communicating about the .2 seconds-should I really have reported the foul and then made an announcement that the game was over ? I mean should I have used the PA system or what ? Seriously did I owe the losing coach an explanation at the end of the game ?