View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
If the shooter is fouled with 0.2/0.3 seconds on the clock just as he's gathered the ball, are you telling me that it's the intent of the rules to allow that shooter to completely finish his shooting motion after that(step, bring his arms up, maybe double-pump and then shoot), even though that completion of the shooting motion after the foul might take a lot longer than 0.2/0.3 seconds? I can't agree with that.

Sorry, Camron, but it isn't that simplistic imo. It would be nice if it was...but it just isn't.

It is that simplistic. Fundamental basketball rules state

Rule 6-7

Ball becomes dead when time expires for the quarter. Time had not expired because whistle was before the horn. This was absolute

Ball does not become dead until try or tap ends

The defense was stupid enough to foul and stop the clock here. It gives the guy a chance to finish his motion. If they hadnt have fouled and stopped the clock the player may or may not have gotten the shot off, but since they did he gets everything else the rules allow.

Go back and reread the interpretation that was given for this play

It specifically stated that there was whistle then horn. There was no question. IT becomes a timing mistake, basket scores and free-throw is shot. The rest of the ruling is whether or not there should be time put back on the clock and if the FT has someone on the lane. If there is definite knowledge reset the clock, if not shoot the FT's and be done.

Time has not expired while the ball was in the hand. We cannot reset the clock because of no definite knowledge. These are two separate and distinct acts...and two separate rules!

I agree with Cameron on his play... There is also some common sense that has to come into play.

If there is 1:05 left in the 4th and operator hits reset instead of the horn and it now shows 8:00 to go in the fourth. I dont have definite knowledge so we have to go with the eight minutes because the scorer did not note the times of the time outs... or fouls.

This is the only paly in town. We have to be precise ad get this right