View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks
Please correct me if I am wrong....I'd like a FIBA, NBA, NCAA, NFHS, Bob's backyard league, International, Olympic, grade school, CYO and any other level or organization world wide interp for this play...

A1 passes the ball to A2 who fumbles the ball.

So we have a loose ball about 2 or 3 feet from A2

She moves to pick it up...B2 dives for the ball from behind A2 taking the legs of A2 out from under her.

A2 falls to the floor....B2 secures the ball.

FOUL......right? RIGHT??

Mr. howler monkey informs me that I should let them play and that since the ball was loose, thats not a foul. I was also reminded that this was girls varsity basketball and not..."sissy ball" from one of his jr. howler types.

I thanked him for reminding me that we weren't playing "sissy ball" then promptly puked on his shoes.....

Shouldn't there be some sort of test these guys have to pass to even be allowed to sit on the bench, let alone coach?

SISSY BALL FEVER.....CATCH IT!
I feel a tad of sarcasm in your words

It's difficult to judge this kind of action without seeing it. In FIBA, and I believe under every rule set, two players are allowed to chase after a loose ball and the ensuing contact must be considered incidental if both had the opportunity to get the ball without causing illegal contact.

In this situation I would look closely at A2's movements, because it is frequent that the fumbler shifts in order to protect the ball before diving for it.

If B2 went for the ball just invading A2's cylinder, I would agree with you. If A2's movement had hindered B2's dive, it might have been a team control foul or a no call.