View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 08:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck
This is getting ridiculous.

Here is how I am handling this in my game

If I have a foul, and my whistle is CLEARLY before the buzzer, and the player CLEARLY releases the ball after the buzzer, then I am counting the basket.

I will get together with my crew, and we ARE putting time on the clock. Even if it is 0.1, something is going on the clock. I have DEFINITE KNOWLEDGE that there was a timing error and I am going to fix it the best I can.

"But lpneck," the crowd cried (or at least 2 or 3 of you,) "how can you possibly do that if none of you actually SAW the clock at 0.1? Maybe the clock should have been stopped at 0.2! You don't have definite knowledge!"

Good question. Let me respond with a question. There are 55.4 seconds left in the game. Team A has a throw-in in the back court. They throw the ball in and you get to 3 on your count, and they throw the ball out of bounds. The timer forgets to stop the clock on your whistle and when you look up, the clock says 47.8. None of us saw the clock at the moment the whistle blew.

What do you put the clock at? I put it at 52.4. Anyone disagree? Good.

But hang on a second... how do you KNOW that the clock should be at 52.4? Maybe it should be at 52.5? Maybe the whistle killed it a little after my count got to three and it should be 52.0?

Since I don't know EXACTLY how many tenths of a second should be on the clock, are any of you who are taking the position that I can't put at least 0.1 back on the clock in the last second shot situation going to take the consistent position that you can't fix the game clock here, either?
Sigh.....

I hate to be the one to tell you, but it's really not a matter of any of us disagreeing with you. It's a matter of the NFHS disagreeing with you. They're the ones that are telling you that you can't do what you want to do i.e.- guess at what time you're putting back on the clock. Sez so right in the rulebook they published. In rule 5-10 to be exact.

I could care less how you handle it personally. That's up to you. I just want to point out that, until the FED publishes something different, the rules say that you are wrong.