View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 01:08am
We don't rent pigs

Perhaps my favorite part of all the books is on page 10 in the rulebook.
The Intent and Purpose of the Rules. Among other things, it says ".....to know the intent and purpose of a rule so that it may be intelligently applied in each play situation."
I personally do not believe that 5-10-1 was written with the intent of chasing down tenths of a second, not even in a game ending situation.
Sports officiating is, and for the forseeable future will be, subject to the human element. (good thing, or we're all out of a job) The whistle blows, the timer hears it, the thumb flips a switch. How long does all this take?
I have no idea. But this is the normal sequence of events. This is the way it is supposed to be. The high school game as we know it is not designed in such a way that the clock stops instantaneously with the whistle.

5-10-1: The referee may correct an obvious mistake by the timer.......

Anything that involves .4 tenths of a seconds, (an arbitrary amount that was mentioned earlier) is not obvious. There was a foul on a try, but time expired before the release. So be it. Shoot the free throws. The basket doesn't count.

Nothing was "permitted to develop which may lead to placing a player at a disadvantage not intended by a rule."**

**The Intent and Purpose of the Rules (again)

Lonesome Dove