View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
1) Give me a rules citation that states the horn sopunded illegally. And what do you mean "if the horn is what kills the clock"? I've given the rules citations that say exactly that numerous times to date in this thread.

2) I agree. And so far, nobody has been able to cite any RULE that says that horn and time expired illegally. That's exactly why you have to kill the shot.

Here is the rule: 5-8
Time-out occurs and the clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official" />>>
ART. 1 . . . Signals:>>
a. A foul.

If it doesn't stop in this case, it was allowed to run illegally and the horn that resulted was also not supposed to occur. I don't have the case book with me but there is a case that says the horn doesn't stop play if it sounds at an incorrect time.

By your interpretation, it seems you'd rule the ball dead if the timer pushes the horn button with 0.5 on the clock becasue the horn sounded or if the timer accidentially reset the clock to 0 before the shot was released.

The rule can't be such that it would be an advantage for the timer to be deliberately slow in the stopping of the clock....hoping the officials don't know how much time to put on the clock. If that were allowed, a home scorer could win the game for their team by manipulating the clock.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Dec 06, 2006 at 06:57pm.