View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Let's try this situation:

A1 dribbling past half court jumps as the clock is at 1.2, is fouled at 1.1 hangs in the air (can you hang for 1.1? at least in this play you can) till the clock says 0:00.0 and the horn sounds. He/she than release the shot and it goes in.

Under the lag time rule of last year, we can put 1.1 back on the clock, as it didn't stop in the required 1 second. Is the arguement that the shot can't count because the horn sounded to end the period? I don't think that would have been the old interpretation. The horn sounding was due to a timing error. Shot counts, shoot 1 free throw.

Under the new rule, we can put 1.1 back on the clock, assuming we saw the clock. Can we still argue that the shot doesn't count because the horn sounded. Again, I don't think that interpretation is accurate as the horn is sounding due to a timing error. Thus the shot counts, shoot 1 free throw.

Assuming no arguments to the above (a HUGE assumption), we now get to this play. I don't have the answer, but I am fairly confident that IF we are putting time back on the clock, the shot counts. It is not relevant if he/she could complete the motion is .4 or 1.1 seconds. The clock should stop, time has not expired, the horn is to be ignored.