View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
You keep saying that time expired. Time did not expire. The whistle sounded, then the horn went off.

With the elimination of the lag time, this means the clock should have been stopped before the horn sounded. The fact that is was not stopped makes this a timer's error.

This is the point of the whole article. Otherwise the elimination of the lag time makes no sense.
(Ok JR, let me try...you go have a donut or somethin'.)

The "elimination of lag time" is only applicable if you have "definite information relative to the time involved". Definite information has to do with the specific amount of time, not just the fact that you "definitely" know the whistle blew before the horn sounded.

Realistically, I'm probably not going to have a view of clock at the exact moment I blow that whistle - my focus will be on those players. I'm going to need to rely on my partners to give me that information. If one of them comes to me and tells me "There was .4 on the clock when your whistle blew", then great, we can add that back on the clock. But we cannot add back time because we "thought" there was .4 left, or because "there should've been" .4 left. That's not definitive information. See the difference?

(Used with permission.)