View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Okay, I don't think it clearly states what you say it does. If you have a player who starts his motion, the buzzer goes, the foul occurs, and the shot releases; then you have a clear instance where time expired before the shot was released.
"The referee may correct an obvious mistake by the timer." This, with the removal of lag time, means if you know for a fact that the shot was released before the horn should have gone off, you should count the basket. If you don't know the exact time; all you can do is count the basket and shoot the shot, if it will make a difference, with the lane cleared.
When we had lag time, it made sense to allow time to expire. Now that the fed is allowing us to correct even tiny timer errors....
6-7-7 says a ball becomes dead on a foul. The exception c, associated with article 7 says that if the foul is by an opponent, the ball will remain live if the player has started his/her motion for a shot. It further states that the shot MUST be released before the buzzer (or else it is dead).

The rule is explicitly stating not to count the bucket in the event of foul, whistle, buzzer, made hoop. Now comes the lag time rule change. Does this mean we ignore what is explicitly stated for the interpretations of our imaginations? I will agree this explicit rule does not seem to jive with the rule change regarding lag time and putting time back on the clock and that the shot must be part of the period by reason of logic and extension of the lag rule. So, does this case now become one for the committee to clarify? I hope they do. Where is the email address to send them these scenarios?