View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 03:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School1)
I don't disagree with the intentional foul called, accept now if you have a similiar thing happen on the other end, it's got to be intentional there too.

2) In the 2nd quarter, there's room for some preventative medicine here. First, it was a great off-ball get (call). Second, you could have walked out of there with a holding call and just tell the player don't do it again. It's a JV game, remember. If he doesn't do it again, problem solved and you didn't have to burn an intentional, slow the game down, get one of the coaches upset, to accomplish it. Likewise, if it does happen again, you can now step up and call it intentional and tell them, I warn you in the first half.
1) Exactly. That's called officiating consistency.

2) Unfortunately, if you want to be consistent the whole game too, you've just opened up an enormous can of worms. If you don't call the intentional foul for a 2-handed grab of the shirt in the second quarter, then you don't call the intentional foul for the same act at the end of the fourth quarter. And if you warn one player, then you had better be prepared to warn every player on both teams also. I can just see you issuing multi-warnings at the end of a game. "Don't do that, #5". "You, don't do that either, #11". etc., etc.

Btw, worrying about whether a coach is going to be upset or not is never a factor when real officials make a call.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Wed Dec 06, 2006 at 10:43am.