View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 02, 2006, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
How is that a contradiction? Most block shots are going to involve contact. You cannot call all contact a foul. I have clearly said in the past that a clean block shot that the contact should in most cases be considered incidental. Too many times I see a foul called on body contact when the defender got to the ball first and jumped straight up or was just a bigger and stronger player. Also if you have read what I have said in the past, this is expected to be called at the levels I work both HS and college. I was at a D1 camp this summer and a D1 official called a foul on a clean block and significant contact after the block shot and was told the official "That was a play thru." Obviously I did not say anything about this play but the clinician who is also a long time D1 official made it clear what should be called and why. He gave the exact same explanation as I have here in the past and right now.

I think you are trying to apply one situation with a completely different situation. Also just because there is contact on a shooter does not mean there was a foul. Sometime shooters are out of control and calling a foul on a defender even without the shot being blocked would be completely wrong to do. Remember, you and I do not work in the same places or with the same people. Remember that "regional thing" you talk about.

Peace
Maybe I should hit the archieve...as I remember it, you were on record that even significant contact post block...even knocking a player to the floor...should be considered incidental. Yet here you are saying contact on the arm that hinders a player's normal landing could be a foul.

No contradiction huh?