View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnjoe
This is my first year officiating, and I have been browsing the forum for a few weeks now. I have found this to be extremely helpful- well most of the time.

One thread (which I can't find anymore) made me question my thinking on charge calls. Someone referred to a coach asking a ref, "so you're saying, it is a charge and not a player control foul?" And the ref said yes.

That was the end of the post and no one seemed to clarify/question this. Perhaps because it was implied that the ref was clueless?

As I see it, charging, by definition, IS a player-control foul. Am I missing something? Are there exceptions?

Also, what is the proper mechanic for calling these and reporting to the table? Do you use the player control foul on the floor, and then use the charge signal when reporting? Or...
A PC foul is a foul be a player in control of the ball. This player can charge, hold, block, illegally use hands, .... USe the PC foul signal (hand behind head) when reporting.

When a player not holding the ball charges, holds, blocks, illegally uses hands, etc., it's not a PC foul. Use the appropriate signal (push, hold, etc)