View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Where is this classroom standard that you claim is around?

Seriously, what the standard in one place is different in another. Depending on the teacher when I was coming up there were certain teachers that were a little loose with their words and others that were straight as a razor. Not everyone has this "classroom standard" that you keep talking about. And if there is a standard it surely changes based on where you are. I live in a metropolitan area where you can go 10 miles from one place to another the standards change drastically. There was a football coach this year was suspended for putting up a sign to motivate his players that had some Nazi overtones. When I heard the content of the sign it would not have raised an eyebrow at face value. The only way I knew it was offensive when someone told me the origin and the history. I say this because to a Jewish ref this might have offended them and to someone who is not Jewish would not have been noticed at all. And I think this is why the NF keeps the language vague and knows that what is appropriate is going to change from one place to another.

Peace
That classroom standard is what teachers are taught when they go to college. I don't believe you would find any teacher education program which teaches a teacher that it is appropriate for them to say that phrase used originally in the first post in this thread, regardless of where they are being taught, or where they are located. That is the standard that I am referring to.

Your example is a case of a hidden meaning - there is no hidden meaning in obscenity or profanity.