View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
It read like you were calling NSA stupid.
I thought he was calling the batter that carried the bat to first stupid but his reply makes it clear that the rule is what he feels is stupid. But, rules will not prevent people from doing things. There are rules against obstruction but players still obstruct and there are rules against USC but people still act the fool. What surprises me is that he usually wants to do anything that would prevent any possibility of a lawsuit. In this case, he seems to invite it. As strongly as he lobbies for ASA rules, changes, and modifications, I am sure that he finds some rules in that book stupid as well and he would probably list them if we were to ask him. I have alway appreciated his forthrightness and experience on this forum and will continue to read his posts with interest (even when I disagree). I especialy enjoy it when he poses a situation that places a conundrum in the minds of the umpires. But when someone gets 5000 posts s/he has earned the right to go beyond the situation on the field and to interject personal opinion whether it is complementary or unkind. We can all be grateful for his skills as an umpire and his ability to continually elicit replies on this forum. We would be wrong condemn his posts or to flame him because of his opinion. He is a very experienced umpire with much to say and much to teach. I know that he realizes how privileged he is on this forum and how much weight his posts carry. That is something that cannot be taken lightly. Even the b@$eb@ll guys come over to read his posts and that is saying something. We must always remember that we will never be perfect on the field though we will strive for that every game. Most of us will never reach his level of expertise though we would strive for that. Most of us will seek to be kind and respectful of others both on and off the field. Umpires are as umpires do.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"