View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Tony and Daryl,
While it is certainly true that the NFHS clarified that all team members are bench personnel during intermission this year, that is not new. It has been in the Case Book for years.
As for making the coach declare 5 players or have 5 kids check in with the table prior to the start of each period, do you really try to enforce that? If so, you might need to borrow my pipe wrench!
To enforce it would make more problems than ever. I know I won't. I surmise the only ones who might are the ones who want to show their rules superiority and forget common sense.

BTW: They are bench personnel only during halftime (intermission between 2Q and 3Q). During the intermission between the 1Q and 2Q and the intermission between the 3Q and 4Q they remain players so no one would have to report then.

I agree the case book has been trying for years to say that all team members were bench personnel. But by plain rules definitions it was wrong, wrong, wrong. Previous rules always said a player remained a player until he was substituted for, etc. The new rule making everyone bench personnel during intermission was not a clarification but was in reality done to cover their own butts by making a rule in line with their erroneous ruling to make themselves look good rather than admit their own mistake.

That is another of my pet peeves. Rules can never be adopted by the case book. The rule book must be changed first. The purpose of the case book is to be an aide to understanding the rule. To make "law" through editorial changes or interpretations which clearly in opposition to adopted definitions prostitutes the whole system on which integrity relies.

Last edited by Daryl H. Long; Thu Nov 16, 2006 at 12:54pm.