View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenOfNC
I had about the same thing happen in a JV game about 3 weeks ago.

Team A WR didn't realize he was supposed to be in the game, ran onto the field from the sideline, and lined up about two yards outside the numbers. A corner back was already there waiting on him. After about five seconds, snap occurred.

In my judgment, there was no deception involved. It was a JV game. The defense was well aware of him, so I didn't flag it. But my white hat did. Miffed me pretty good.
I had a similar type of play in a varsity game this season. A was trying to run out the clock before the half and were short a player. He ran on from my sideline and didn't get inside the numbers. I moved him inside the numbers before the snap. I knew that R wouldn't flag it for me but I wasn't also going to be on film as letting it go.

Whether or not I see much value in the rule is not in question here. It is a rule and I work with it. It is not an absolute in my mind like a false start but I do want to see players trying to comply with it. I will move to the numbers prior to the RFP and keep the offensive players from moving outside of me until then. It makes it pretty obvious for the defense when I am out there stopping a player from moving beyond me. I don't get any trouble from anybody enforcing it this way and I haven't had to flag a player since we went to the 9-yard marks.

And once again, this is NOT R's call.