View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 06:53pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
There is a similar ruling by the NFHS which says that only one T should be assessed. When I read this I thought, "What happened to the T for hanging on the rim?" Needless to say, I'm not fond of this ruling, but it is what it is.

2005-06 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
SITUATION 7: Only a few seconds remain in the second quarter. Team A is advancing the ball from backcourt to frontcourt. A1 is driving toward his/her basket and is about to dunk the ball when the horn sounds to end the first half. Shortly after the horn sounds, A1 dunks the ball and hangs on to the rim. RULING: A1 is assessed a technical foul for dunking a dead ball. The foul is also charged indirectly to the head coach. The third quarter begins with Team B being awarded two free throws and the ball at the division line. The alternating-possession arrow is not affected and remains unchanged. (5-6-4; 10-3-4)
Might be semantics, Nevada, but the play described by the OP has the guy grasping the rim, and [presumably with the other hand] then dunking. The casebook play has the grasp AFTER the dunk. Wouldn't [at least in NFHS] the grasp be cause for a dead ball on the whistle and the dunk of a dead ball result in two Ts?