View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
In all cases, the player catching the throw-in committed a violation under R9-2-10--"No player shall be out of bounds when he/she touches or is touched by the ball after it has been released on a throw-in pass".. The penalty for doing so is at the bottom of R9-2--"The ball becomes dead when the violation...occurs. Following a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in at the original throw-in spot".
Holy smokes, Batman!!!!!!! An unannounced rule change that has escaped my notice for two entire seasons!!!!

This is crazy. I was sure that I knew the proper application of this rule, so I went and checked my books. Sure enough the NFHS changed the wording in the penalty section in 2004-05 without notice. Furthermore, they reorganized the layout of the entire section (9-2) in the 2005-06 book without comment.

Here is what the penalty section said in 2003-04 prior to the change:
Penalty: (Section 2) The ball becomes dead when the violation or technical foul occurs. Following a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in at the out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation.

Compare that to what JR provided above for the 2006-07 version and you will see the difference. This clearly changes the location of the ensuing throw-in. It appears that I have been unaware that I have been administering this incorrectly for two years now.