View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Okay, I'm confused. I thought we all agreed in the toher thread that it's up to the coach to keep track of the TO's and if the book errs, it's tough.

Also, are you saying that you thought this "correction" was during the same stoppage of play as the error? It looks like in the OP the realization of the mistake came later, after a certain amount of playing time.
Quote:
At the next stoppage of time the official scorekeeper told me that Team A still had one TO left. This got me thinking. If the head coach had called the TO and we thought it was their last and assessed a T (I know, this is an obvious error but sometimes I make some), and then after we shot the free throws the official scorer noticed the error and told us about it, would this be correctable under "awarding unmerited free throw". Also, how would you re-start the play, at the point of interruption?
Yes it is up to the team to keep track of their own TO's. In the previous thread the book told them they had one when they didn't. In this case they called a TO that they thought they had. After the official grants the TO the book says they are out, the "T" is assessed, the B team shoots 2 throws, then the book tells the official that they did have a TO available. This all happened during one stoppage of play.

It is correctable because it was a unmerited free throw and the T happened prior to the recognition of the error.

There is no way that we can let this happen & play on. We assessed a penalty from bad information from the book. We have to correct. If a coach asks how? Explain, the correctable error rule and the bookkeeping mistake. W