Thread: Question #28
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 10:50am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Multiple choice question:

Which of the following passages comes from the rule book?

A. There are no free throws on a team control foul unless it is deemed
intentional or flagrant.

B. While A1 is holding the ball, if A2 commits a foul which is intentional or
flagrant, it is not a team control foul.

You could get the call right whether you knew the answer to this question or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Well, I know B didn't come from the rulebook b/c I wrote it. I'm still trying to find A in the rulebook but I seem to be having a problem locating it.

You may not think it matters, that's fine. But I think if an official reports A2's intentional/flagrant foul as a Team Control foul, Coach A is gonna have a problem when B2 is shooting free throws instead of Team B taking the ball out nearest the spot of the foul.
Neither passage is from a book, but both would produce the same final result.

I guarantee you most coaches know a lot less about rulebook language than you and I do. If you report a flagrant or intentional foul on A1, I would be amazed if any coach ever asked, "Wasn't that a team control foul?"
BUT, they could, and even if they did and you incorrectly informed them that it was indeed a team control foul but you still get free throws since it was intentional/flagrant, 90 something % of coaches would not know the difference. And what difference is there, really? It's in the book as a personal foul. We will shoot 2, B will get the ball at the spot nearest the foul.
Now that the test is over, what reason is there for anyone to know whether this an exception to the team control rule, or the fact that the foul is intentional/flagrant means that it is no longer a team control foul.

Lonesome Dove