View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L
Hey, I'll stack our 0-10 team up against anyone else's 0-10 team in the country! Call it the Irrelevant Bowl, or the Futility Bowl or the Toilet Bowl.

Yep, it's kinda embarassing for an 0-10 team to make the playoffs, but it was a strange set of circumstances that let them in. In their division, there are 10 playoff spots designated. There are only 14 teams in their division. One of those teams plays 8-man ball, so they are in the 8-man playoffs. 2 of the other teams are not eligible due to a number of forfeits. San Diego section instituted a "3 forfeits and you get no post season play" rule and those 2 teams got hit for using an ineligible player. Cost one of them 5 wins. So that left 11 teams for a 10 team bracket and the committee decided against reducing the number of teams in the bracket.

As for the state championship thing, yeah I guess the winners of the "bowl games" will claim the title, but since we have 10 sections and only 2 teams from each division get invited to the "bowl", leaving 8 section champions out, I'm not exactly sure how valid that claim will be. It's not even clear what criteria will be used to determine who goes. I'm betting there's a lot of political influence that will guarantee it will be one team from the south and one from the north.
BTW---Congrats on your Championship Assignment.