Thread: Red Card Rule
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huh?
hmmm.......Kristine Lilly played in the final match of a recent tournament, after receiving a red card in the previous match - because the tournament rules did not call for a suspension for a red card.

it happens all the time all over the world, that a player will receive a red card, or otherwise earn a suspension in one event, but still be allowed to continue to participate in a different event with his team. Think Champions League and XXX League play, where XXX is the domestic league. Or FA Cup and EPL.

referees should worry about the game on the day, not about administrative issues. officials have enough to try to do well without giving themselves the chance to be wrong in other areas that are not part of their duty. This is said as an official, admin, and coach, btw, before some of you get your undies in a bunch
Yes, it is clear that suspensions given during league play are served during league games, and suspensions earned during tournaments or international events apply to the next matches in those events.

As for your example with Ms. Lilly, I do not know anything about the situation, so I cannot comment. I do not know in what event this took place, I do not know what the regulations of it were, I do not know the details surrounding the red card, or what was written in the referee's post-match report. All I can say is that I have little doubt that the proper regulations governing the situation were followed.

Do you not agree that the coach could have left her out of the lineup for the following match as a consequence of her actions, if he so desired?

A great example of what I was talking about when I stated that SOME coaches (clearly not all) suspend their own players themselves occurred during this past summer's World Cup.
Following the US v. Italy match, Italian coach Marcello Lippi stated that De Rossi would be suspended by the Italian soccer federation and would not play in the next few matches for his elbow to the face of Brian McBride no matter what penalty FIFA eventually handed down. It was stated that the player's action was considered by the Italians as damaging to soccer's image. FIFA gave a four match ban. De Rossi wrote a letter of apology to FIFA and personally apologized to McBride. He did not play again in the tournament until the Final.