View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 12, 2006, 03:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Adam,
The problem with this example is that the official had to administer the throw-in following the 7th team foul. The team didn't just take the ball out of bounds and do it by themselves. This isn't the old FIBA. Therefore, the official clearly DID SOMETHING that was a mistake in your play, whereas in the scenario with the FT the official is an idle bystander (after mistakenly saying 1-and-1). To me that is quite different.
In the OP, the official clearly makes a mistake by telling the players on the lane that the ball is live on the miss. This carries the same weight as administering a throw in, IMO. The official administering the free throw is responsible for telling the players how many shots are coming. They have nothing more to go by.

Change my alternate situation a bit. Lead official calls a shooting foul, as the trail comes in on the switch, he mistakenly thinks it's a common foul and sets the kids up for a throw-in. The calling official reports the foul, and heads to his spot opposite the table. The kids are lined up for a throw in, but for whatever reason (let's assume the inbounds play somehow looks like a freethrow lineup) doesn't notice the error. On the throw-in, B1 steals the pass. As soon as B1 grabs the ball, the calling official (now trail) blows the ball dead realizing the error.

It's a bit closer to the OP, and I don't think anyone could argue you'd just line them up and shoot the free throws. You have to go Correctable Error because of the change of possession.