View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 11, 2006, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Buy good umpire equipment

Good umpire equipment is worth every penny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFarns
Hi everyone. I'm normally in the football forum as I've been a football official for 2 years. Well, I just contacted someone local here and expressed my interest in umpiring a bit this coming spring/summer. He sent me a list of stuff to buy and holy crap it cost alot to be an Ump.
Now I am a catcher still on a local adult league so would it be ok to use my shin guards, mask and even chest protector as an ump too? I mean aren't the shin guards and protector covered by your uniform anyhow so it shouldn't look too bad and the mask looks exactly the same in my mind though I'll admit I never looked to close at the umps.
I would suggest if money is an issue that you buy ONE piece a year starting with the CP today, then shin guards, shoes and last mask. Also ask around and see if you can get some used equipment to save money. But think about it, the seller is usually getting rid of it to upgrade his own equipment. It would save you more if you went and bought the good gear from the start.

You MUST buy a hard shell CP. I would not waste my money on a soft shell CP if I planned on doing HS baseball. The umpire CPs are more like football pads and offer much better protection than regular CP. I would not allow you to wear a regular CP w/out the additional shoulder protection if you were working for me.

Quote:
Also why do they sell Plate shoes and base shoes. Can't you just have one pair of shoes and then your shin guards could just have a flap to cover the tops of your feet. Would it be tacky to use my playing spikes as an Ump. The spikes are mainly black with some white (the Nike swoosh, the word nike and I think a little trim) plus a little red on the sole of the spike.
Spikes are a big NO-NO. There is nothing else you wear that says "rookie" as the equipment package you have on. Umpire leg guards aren't as bulky and are much lighter. I now have lightweight Gerry Davis hockey style shin guards. They are so comfortable that I will never buy another pair in my lifetime.

Quote:
Anyhow, I was hoping to keep the initial cost down on this. I'm younger and a little short on the money side most the time but I think it'd be great to be involved in baseball just like I am football. I've always loved and played both sports and I just want to stay involved in them.
The plate shoes are an investment. Umpires really believe in them. The trick is to find a good long-lasting pair. I wouild not hesitate to throw $120 on some good plate shoes if I new they would last as long.

Masks are generally the same. The doe-skin padding was hot a few years back, replaced by some other new leather product today. Perhaps someone else may have something to add about the mask.

Good luck and have a great season.

Last edited by SAump; Sun Nov 12, 2006 at 10:12pm.