Thread: Coverage Areas
View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
We need to stop talking in generalities, let us get to the bottom line.

I have a few questions for you guys to clarify your position.

1. You are the Lead Official and your partner is watching the ball handler. The ball handler "carries" the ball about near the division line. Do you call this as the Lead official?

2. You are the trail official and the ball goes out right in front of the Lead official, do you blow the whistle and signal as the trail official?

3. There is a throw-in and your partner is administering the throw-in. The thrower moves a little to the side and in your opinion the player violated the designated spot; do you call the violation that your partner missed?

Are these game saving calls?

Peace
I would not be likely to call any of these. 1) Carrying is very subjective, and in your example, that is pretty far away. Now, if they clearly carried, and my partner is back at the other endline, chatting with a coach, maybe I would call it. 2) No, but I might help out on a tip indicating a change in direction if I clearly saw the tip. 3) Not likely to call under any circumstances. Now, if I saw the player clearly step onto the court by more than just a little, and my partner was watching a very competitive matchup in front of him, ignoring the thrower-in, I might call it if the player gained a major advantage from it, but still unlikely.

Are they game saving calls? You have to define this. If you mean game-changing, absolutely under the right circumstances. A screwed up throw-in by a team down 2 points with several seconds left would take away their chance to win. Should we get the call right, or should we ignore the violation in favor of letting them get the chance? I vote for the first option - always - get the call right.

But what about:

1) A clear foul away from the ball, outside my area, because my partner was watching the ball (like he was supposed to) in his area?

2) A clear violation (3 step travel, etc) outside my area, when my partner was obviously distracted by some off-ball heavy physical play in his area?

And, as I have been presuming in all cases (and has been brought up contrary to this) - in all cases, I am assuming the foul or violation call is CORRECT - you have been presuming because your statistics show that often calls outside your area are wrong, any call outside the primary must be wrong. I am saying that, under further review, after checking the video and consulting with numerous witnesseses, the call is CORRECT - the foul/violation occurred as viewed by the off-primary person. Answer with this in mind.

Last edited by drinkeii; Thu Nov 09, 2006 at 12:35am.